About This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2015

A Forever Flower


One yellow summer day, long ago,
our paths crossed and seeds of
friendship were sown.
As the seeds took root and began
to sprout, we spent almost every
day together that summer.
We took long, barefoot walks –
often stopping to rest on the cool
grass beside the river and watch
paddle boats slosh by.
We snapped pictures of each other in
various stages of play and referred to
them often, reliving the fun we’d had
taking them.
When you had a bad case of poison
ivy and had to stay in, I crushed ivy
leaves and rubbed them on myself so
I’d get it, too, but I was immune.
When I was confined to bed for a week
with strep throat, you phoned every
day to cheer me up.
As teenagers, we slathered our bodies
with a blend of baby oil and iodine
and stretched out on a blanket in your
backyard, hoping for a golden tan, but
sometimes getting sunburn instead.
Later, we sat on my front porch swing
eating cold meatloaf sandwiches and
sipping tall glasses of iced tea.
In mid-August, the carnival came to
town. Lured by bright lights, cheerful
calliope music, pink cotton candy and
thrilling rides, we hurried to the
fairgrounds each evening at dusk. It
was a magical time!
On rainy days, we’d lie across your bed
whispering about our latest heartthrobs
and other secrets. Your mother served
us hamburgers and cokes.
I cherish each of these memories and
so many more. I loved you like the sister
I never had. You were my best friend!
Too soon, we grew up. You went away
and, for a long while, we’ve lived in
separate worlds.
And yet, our relationship has stood the
test of time and separation. Though we
don’t talk for long periods, we both know
when it’s time. Just as I start to dial your
number, my phone rings and there you are!
Sometimes it happens in reverse.
As I reminisce on this golden autumn
afternoon, I’m thankful that the bloom of
our friendship is as vibrant as ever. 

©2015 Peggy Toney Horton ~


5 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely poem, Peggy. I assume this is really about a friend of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, Dana... a lifelong friendship just like the poem says.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I love your writings, Peggy. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pg joker ศูนย์รวมค่ายเกมสล็อต คาสิโนที่ดินพวกเราคัดสรรค์มาให้ท่านแล้วที่นี้ พีจี มากไปกว่านั้นเป็น 1 ยูสสามารถเข้าเล่นได้ทุกค่ายในเว็บไซต์ไม่จำกัดพร้อมแอดไม่นดูแลตลอดๆ

    ReplyDelete
  4. เว็บสล็อต pg ทั้งหมด จำต้องยกให้เว็บไซต์ PGSLOT-TH ยืน 1 เว็บไซต์ตรงสล็อต pg วันนี้พวกเราอัปเดตเว็บไซต์ใหม่ ใช้ระบบล้ำสมัย ที่สุด ฝากถอน เร็ว ยอดไม่ค้าง เล่นสล็อตพีจี

    ReplyDelete