About This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Wee Hours

 
 
It’s past three a.m. and I’m wide awake! It’s one of those middle of the night times when I don’t want to sleep. Why? Specifically, a Jerry Lee Lewis video called Last Man Standing. Singing with Jerry Lee is a whole array of older singers. Tom Jones, Solomon Burke, Kris Kristofferson, John Fogerty, Willie Nelson, Don Henley, Merle Haggard and a few others. There are a couple of younger ones like Norah Jones and Kid Rock, both of whom I like just fine, but it’s the older ones that really take me back.

The songs that some of these singers made famous are the songs I grew up on; they transport me to a special time in my life – a carefree interlude when I hovered between child and young adult. I can listen to this music over and over.

 And I do.

It’s somehow even better in the wee hours than in the light of day. I resent having to give it up and go to bed because I must be able to function tomorrow.

The daylight hours bore me. I struggle to get through the day and...
 
Come to life at night!



 

8 comments:

  1. Hey peg. you really are different aren't you. I'd like to know you personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you need sleep peg. Day time can be wonderful to. get out there and get some sun. you might love it. sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done the sunshine thing. I like darkness better. I'm just a nocturnal animal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand you perfectly peg, but I have to work. If I didn't, I'd be staying up all night too. The night is different - more peaceful. and you're right, even music sounds better at night.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Night, which gently soothes the hurts and errors of the day. Perhaps she who loves the night wants to lovingly watch the quiet healing of her own soul.

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you like Yanni peg and Van Morrison. Now you say you like Jerry Lee Lewis. what's up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The music I listen to depends on my mood. I can go from Classical to jazz and back again in the same evening. Sometimes I slip back into "classic" country - not what they call country today.
    I like all kinds of music - except rap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugh,
    I believe the healing you speak of comes while we sleep. If that's true, then she who loves the night watches in vain~

    ReplyDelete