About This Blog

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sweet Whispers Of Love



 Do you love me?

I long to hear the words, but 
      you do not speak them.
Instead, you lavish me with “things,”

Don't you know that objects cannot
      satisfy the burning heart that
      yearns to hear 
Sweet whispers of love.

I pity you... for if you are not capable
      of expressing love, then
Perhaps you are also incapable of feeling it. 
                                                 pth~ 1980


This poem also appears in Page & Spine Literary
 Magazine and the book, Sweet Whispers of Youth

4 comments:

  1. You must have been very emotional when you were young peg. I read this three times to understand it. I think I do. It's good. Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think that's all I can say about this one peg. sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand this poem very well. Been there. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did these poems come from peg? More than 30 years ago. How old were you? How old are you now?
    I don't mean this isn't good. it is. Just wondering how a young girl could have lived enought to feel the things you write about.

    ReplyDelete